Am I ever satisfied?
We live in a culture where it’s very difficult to be content because there is always ‘bigger and better’. There is always more.
How do I find this illusive thing called peace when I am surrounded by all of this?
God tells me through King Solomon in Proverbs 3 how to find peace, satisfaction and prosperity in my life.
- Never forget what God has taught me.
- Be loyal and loving.
- Trust in God – be dependent on his power and strength and understanding, not my own.
- Make fulfilling God’s will for my life my goal. “in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:6.
- Keep on the path God directs me to take.
- Turn away from evil. Respect God and give him the credit for all the good things in my life. Never get too impressed with myself.
- Honor God with my time and treasures.
- Accept my Father’s discipline. He loves me and wants the best for me.
- Ask God for wisdom – it is precious and nothing else will bring me satisfaction.
- Hang on to my common sense and discernment – they will help keep me unafraid and I’ll be able to sleep at night.
- Love and encourage others.
- Don’t envy violent or wicked people. At first, I would say that I would never envy violent or wicked people. But then, I think about some people I know who have ‘gotten away’ with things that were not right but it brought them pleasure or financial gain. Did I ever wish that was me? “The LORD’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the house of the righteous.” Proverbs 3:33.
That’s a great list! It’s interesting to me that things like ‘get an education so you can get a good job and make a lot of money’ aren’t on here. There’s nothing on this list that tells me that buying stuff and owning that boat or that cabin or that new car is going to bring me satisfaction.
How are you doing on this list? Have you found contentment? Peace?
This list is all about God working with us to grow our faith, grow our character and grow our wisdom.
Amen. Let it be so, Abba Father.