God has been seriously re-shaping my heart since I became a committed believer about 30 years ago. When I was young, I had a close relationship with Jesus but it got lost in a season of rebellion and confusion about the truth in my young adulthood. Six years of that messy time taught me how empty my life was without God. I discovered that all the ‘fun’ and partying and working extra hard for ‘stuff’ was meaningless and a dead end.
So I re-committed my whole heart to God and I’ve been on this journey toward the truth ever since.
God tells us in Deuteronomy, “Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer.” Deut. 10:16. Looking back, I see evidence that God is working on my heart, cutting away the parts that need to change –
- He cut out the rebellious part of my heart. Now, no matter what happens, my heart submits to God’s will. He knows best.
- God cut out the stubborn part. I translate “stiff-necked” as being stubborn and God has softened my heart towards everything that is about him and comes from him.
- God cut out any parts of my heart that were unbelieving. I don’t have to understand it all to believe. If God says it, it’s true. God has taught my eyes to look beyond what is in front of me.
- God has been working on the parts of my heart where I want to be in control. I’ve gotten so much better at trusting God – no matter what’s going on around me. I know who is in total control and it’s not me. Whenever I feel myself leaning into ‘control mode’ again, I know I need to step back and trust God as he orchestrates everything for my good.
- My heart was shattered into a million broken, mangled pieces when my son, David Glasser, a Phoenix Police Officer was killed in the line of duty. I can feel God molding a new heart inside of me out of the debris. This heart is stronger with a much clearer focus on my forever home. I just published a book on Amazon, “Then I Looked Up: Losing a Child, Finding His Legacy of Love” if you are interested in hearing more about that story.
Circumcising my heart sounds painful but it has actually set me free from the lies and worries and fears that the world around us tries to impose on us.
And the transformation continues…..
Thank you, Abba Father.
4 thoughts on “Re-shaping My Heart”
I bought two copies of your book. One for a friend whose son was a police officer who was killed in the line of duty. She is a Christian and your book will help her. I am enjoying the book as well. I knew David and davey. They sat in front of me at cardinals games. I also worked at deer valley as a bus driver with David. My son was also a friend of davey. He is a PHx officer also.
Thanks, Bob! It makes me very happy when I hear people are giving it to people they know who are struggling. Thanks! Love you💙💙
Say hi to David